Find the original recipe at this link here.
In my first attempt to restart my AIP diet journey I went searching for inspiration on my favorite site. Without these girls, I honestly don’t know what I would do.
Mexican sounded great, but of course I can’t have dairy or nightshades now. But low and behold I found this recipe and it really hit the spot!
I wasn’t feeling all that great on Sunday night (which is when I made this dish) so it’s minimal prep work really helped me out.
Bacon Guac Sweet Potato “Taco” Recipe (as I made it)
6 medium sweet potatoes, cleaned and individually wrapped in foil
2 pounds of grass fed ground beef, sautéed
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
2 large ripe avocados, pits removed and mashed
4 pieces of uncured bacon, pan fried until crispy
1/4 red onion diced
1 tsp dried cilantro
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 limes juiced
1/2 c coconut manna, warmed in the microwave for 30 sec
1/2 c filtered water
1 lime juiced
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. After washing and wrapping the sweet potatoes in foil, place them in a baking pan and bake them for 1 h 15 min to 1 h 30 min. Remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
- Sauté the beef on medium heat until browned. Add the oregano, garlic and salt and cook for 1-2 mins more until aromatic. Turn off the heat and cover until ready to garnish your sweet potatoes.
- While you’re still waiting for the sweet potatoes to bake, make your guacamole. Cook the bacon, if you haven’t already, until it’s crispy. Set aside on a paper towel or dish towel to grab any excess grease. Dice the red onions. Mash your avocados in a medium bowl. Add the onions and mix. Juice the limes into bowl. Add garlic and cilantro and mix. Break up the crispy bacon into the guacamole and mix until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- In a small microwavable bowl, take the coconut manna (already warmed and mixed–use a hot water bath for 10 mins and then mix it up in the bath so that you get all of the goodness together) and water and mix it together. Add the lime juice and stir. Keep warm.
- Finally, take the sweet potato out of the foil and cut in half on a plate or in a bowl. Take 1-1 1/2 cups of beef and place in the middle. Take a large scoop of the guacamole and put it on top and then drizzle some of the coconut manna sauce on top. ENJOY!!!!
All of this is great for left overs if you keep it in the refrigerator and you keep each part separate. To take to work, I put the beef and half a sweet potato in one container and the guac in another. sometimes I bring the coconut manna, other times I don’t.